Thursday, October 14, 2010

SEDUCING BILBO

He's here!  My new dog.  And he's worried.  I don't know what happened to him to cause him to be a worried dog, but he is.  So I have a seduction job ahead of me and I look forward to it with relish.  He doesn't like to be picked up.  He doesn't like for my hand to come down on top of him when I try to pet him.  He will come to my outstretched hand, sniff a little and let me pet his head.  Something fell on him from above or someone hit him from above so  he's skittish.  Who wouldn't be?  But, I have hope that he will come around and be very comfortable with me.

He is small, about the size of a large cat, and he looks like a white curly haired lamb in his body.  He is a miniature poodle but isn't clipped like a poodle.  Has a chopped tail but there is enough left to wag (thank goodness, I hate chopped tails).  He's approx. 2-3 years old.  He was picked up in a neighborhood running with another white poodle about the same age.

We had a long session at the animal shelter in Rohnert Park yesterday.  I sat with him in the 'play room' for quite a while and then took him outside for a walk on the grass.  He was good on the leash.  Then back inside to convince the staff that I could handle a 'worried' dog and that I would welcome the chance to make him happy.  Then the paperwork:  he is microchipped, licensed, tag on his colar, fixed and vaccinated.  A fully American citizen.  Then the payment, then out to the car for the drive home.

It will take a while to get him relaxed and happy but I am confident it will happen and in the meantime I am so pleased to have a little being in the house, someone to talk to, feed and live with.

It will be a while before he's ready to meet the rest of the family and my friends, but when he is ready I know you will all welcome him with open arms.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so surprised that you ended up with a poodle, though I don't know why I'm so surprised!

    ReplyDelete