Saturday, October 16, 2010

Bide-A-Wee

Home ... a word with emotional and economic connotations.  A loaded word.  I'm settled in my home and have been for more years than any other home since I left my parents' home.  It's a small, two-story townhouse with a small patio in a complex of 56 units.  Not huge, but large enough to be interesting.  It's located in a university town so there are students living in my complex.  And families, retired persons and couples.  Comfortably working class.

It's the place I'm happy to return to; the place that looks like me; the place that feels good.  And it's the place I'll live in as long as I can live by myself.

Bide-A-Wee is the name on many little cottages in Michigan which are on lakes, beside rivers, or in the woods.   It's a name attached to a retirement home; a home to nestle into after the years of work are completed; and a name that connotes slow, leisurely living.  It's the reward for lifelong work and righteous living.  And that's what my wine country home is.  My place to relax and enjoy the events that life will bring.

And now, I have a little dog to complete my little world.  A dog, a garden, my kitchen, my books.  That's my little world.  Just the right size for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment